This recipe is a bit different from what I usually cook, and I indeed am stepping out of my comfort zone! I’ll be honest – I don’t like coconuts, and this is quite the only way I actually enjoy them – when it’s coconut cream and it’s used in a sauce or a caramel.
Now this quick dish goes wonderful with steamed rice, fried rice or even pasta sauce!
It is really very simple one to make. We will need:
- 750 g (1 ⅓ lb) peeled and deveined prawns
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 can (400 ml or 1.7 cups) coconut cream
- 250 ml (1 cup + 1 tbsp) cooking cream 15% fat or so
- Salt & black pepper to taste (I put a bit shy of 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp (or more to taste) red hot chili flakes
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
Let’s get to work.
- As usual, start with heating olive oil in large saucepan.
- Sautee the onion and garlic until fragrant and lightly golden, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper and chili flakes, and cook on medium heat until tomatoes soften and make a thick sauce.
- Stir in the cooking cream, coconut cream and curry powder, bring to boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes to thicken lightly.
- Add prawns and cook for about 3-4 minutes until the prawns are cooked – the colour changes from blue-grey to pinkish.
- Serve with steamed or fried rice, or add some cooked pasta into the pan – and it’s a great pasta dish!